What is Cast Stone and what is the difference between Cast Stone and precast concrete?
One way to explain it is that cast stone is a non structural masonry element used within the masonry veneer system, while precast concrete is best used as a structural building element.
Aesthetics – Cast Stone is free of bug holes and unsightly blemishes. It is manufactured to be used as a replacement for cut limestone, brownstone, sandstone, bluestone, marble and other natural building stones as well as terra-cotta. Cast Stone is generally used as an architectural feature, trim, ornament or veneer for buildings and or other structures.
Physical properties – Cast Stone is held to strict set of standards, less than 6 % water absorption, greater than 6,500 psi and must withstand 300 freeze thaw cycles ( about one hundred north east winters). Corinthian Cast Stone far surpassed the ASTM 1364 standards in both in house as well as independent laboratory testing.
Why Corinthian Cast Stone?
- Over a decade of experience in handling projects of every type and size, from private to public, from the smallest to over 2 million dollars, Corinthian Cast Stone has the capacity and capability to handle your job.
- Over 50 employees dedicated to manufacturing cast stone. From estimating, sales, detailing, cnc programming, mold making, batch plant operation, casting, packaging, shipping and human resources, our people get the job done.
- The first computer controlled batch plant in the cast stone industry…this allows us to obtain unparalleled repeatability and quality control that is critical on finished product.
- The first in the world to own a FARO photon laser scanner. This allows us to field measure / capture a 3d model of a profile or a building or a city block, in literally minutes, WITHIN A MILLIMETER! 3d views as well as 2d plans and sections are created. Aside from manufacturing cast stone this service is available to Architects, Engineers and Surveyors.
- 3 axis or 5 axis work…our CNC / Mold department has capacity to mill anything in wood, foam, plastic or composites using 3d software including, Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD 2009, Rhino, Geomagic, Solidworks, MasterCAM.
- Hundreds of units per day our Casting department produces on a first in first out manufacturing sequence.
- The only cast stone manufacturer to be DRY BLOCK CERTIFIED® (Dry Block® is a trademark of WR Grace). Our product, dry tamp cast stone, is regarded in the industry as among the best.
- Shipping product that looks better (less efflorescence and tighter, crisper edges) faster. Thanks to our Kraft Vapor Energy® cast stone curing system designed and built custom to our application, curing product at 105 F and 100% humidity.
- The only Cast Stone Institute Certified Plant on Long Island and within one hour from New York City.
- Corinthian Cast Stone in conjunction with the Cast Stone Institute® is registered with the American Institute of Architects. Continuing Education System to present several one hour educational seminar on Cast Stone for 1 LU/EU.